Sunday, July 11, 2010

Day 17: The Great South Bay

Sylvia and I fill buckets with wet sand.  Past and present communing.

This morning water carried abandoned seaweed, clear plastic, and assorted opalescent jewels onto the shore.  I rescued two crab claws and a hot pink balloon.



Walking through sand today felt different than my memory of it.  
I invited the inevitable slowness in process, preventing me from getting ahead of myself.  The earth was merely pulling me closer in after all, so I let it.  

I left this place behind over ten years ago.  Traded it in for ferns and tall trees and rivers where I could disappear. Despite the hurt of discarded cigarette butts and other refuse dotting the sandscape, I think I could inhabit this place again.  Today my bones were not unsettled at all by the exposure, by the absence of bark.  The sea calms.


East to West, West to East.


No comments:

Post a Comment