Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Responsible art-making










When the show concluded, I had over 80 onion rescues that needed a home. On March 8th I hosted a campus-wide "adopt-an-onion" program, which saw an amazing response.  Each participant received one "still edible, but not very attractive" onion, delivered by a special stork, with an official certificate of adoption.  The certificate included statistics on food waste in America, along with global hunger statistics, and practical advice on how to reduce one's own food waste.

I saved the "special case" onions (those with rot and mold) for myself and carefully cut out the edible parts.  (And of course the act caused me to weep--not without literal and symbolic significance).  The inedible parts were lovingly returned back to the earth.

http://www.locallygrownnews.com/stories/Threshold-An-Art-Installation-at-Elon-University,27663

No comments:

Post a Comment